Is It Possible to Download iMessage for PC?
For Apple consumers, iMessage has become a handy feature that significantly enhances the versatility of Messages app. With iMessage, you can send all kind of messages, including text, image, video, music, and custom files, for free over internet connection. You can also make voice and video call conveniently and cost-effectively with iMessage. Although its features appear to be similar to other instant messaging services available on iOS, Windows and Android platforms, iMessage is built by Apple and exclusively designed for Apple devices, so it is currently the most favored instant messaging service on devices running iOS 5 or later or OS X Mountain Lion or later. iMessage also uses powerful encryption system that guarantees the security of your communication.
For Apple consumers, using iMessage is definitely not a problem. Unless they still use older iOS or Mac OS that support only iChat or even bare Messages feature, they will not have problem using iMessage because it is already integrated in the Messages app of their device. They don’t need to install anything and they can use this instant messaging service immediately.
However, it is worthy to know that not all people who need to use iMessage are Apple users. If you have family or friends who use iMessage, you will be compelled to have access to this instant messaging service even if you are not an iDevice user. In such scenario, you need to find a way to enable iMessage on your non-Apple device. This article specifically discusses about whether you can use iMessage on Windows PC.
Download iMessage for Windows PC
If you think about downloading iMessage for Windows PC, we can safely say that there is currently no official iMessage release for Windows PC. This instant messaging service is Apple’s proprietary service and will remain Apple’s proprietary for years to come, so there is very small chance that you can download iMessage for Windows as well as for any other platforms, including Android and Linux, though there is currently a project called PieMessage that attempts to bring iMessage to Android.
There are two ways you can use iMessage on Windows PC, but they don’t involve downloading any app on your PC. If you have a jailbroken iDevice, you can take the following steps.
- Check your iOS device to see whether Cydia is installed. Cydia is an alternative App Store for jailbroken iOS devices.
- If there is no Cydia in your machine, check whether your iDevice is already jailbroken. Jailbreaking mostly includes Cydia installation. If your device is jailbroken but you find no Cydia, you can download and install it manually.
- From Cydia, you can download and install Remote Desktop app on your iDevice.
- Open the Remote Desktop app and set up your username and password.
- Check your iDevice’s settings to see its unique IP address. Write down the IP address.
- Open internet browser on your Windows PC and write down your iDevice’s IP address plus 333 on the address bar.
- You will be directed to the login page of your iMessage account.
If you don’t want to jailbreak your iDevice, you can take the following steps to run iMessage on your Windows PC.
- Open Remote Desktop extension on your iDevice to get an access code.
- On a Windows PC, open Chrome and install Remote Desktop extension on it.
- Use your iDevice’s access code to connect your Chrome’s Remote Desktop to your iDevice.
- Both your PC and your iDevice must be turned on if you want to keep using iMessage on your PC.
If you insist on downloading iMessage on your PC so that you can use it natively, you may want to try to use an iOS emulator.
iOS emulator brings an entire iOS system to your PC. When you install it on your PC, you can run iOS apps on your computer even if you don’t have an iDevice. Because iMessage is a feature of Apple’s Messages app, you should be able to run it on your PC if you have an emulator for it.
It is worthy to know that most, if not all, iOS emulators that are available today are simulators. They simulate the feel of using iOS without actually establish a full iOS system in your PC. You can run certain apps that are specifically designed to run on them, but you cannot use Apple App Store’s apps. In fact, they don’t actually give you access to App Store to download your favorite apps. They have their own app store that doesn’t contain App Store’s apps, but apps that the simulator’s developer has developed specifically to run on the simulator.
There are a lot of iOS emulators/simulators available today, the most ambitious of which is iPadian. We will see below whether you can actually use iMessage on iPadian or not.
You can download iPadian from iPadian.net. After you download its installer, you can install it with the same method with which you install other Windows applications. After you finish the setup process, an iPadian icon will appear on your desktop. You can double-click it or click on the program’s start menu shortcut to open it. A new window with its distinctive iOS-esque interface and some preinstalled apps will appear on your screen.
Features of iPadian
iPadian offers the following features.
- Comprehensive iOS simulation that gives you real feel of using an iDevice
- Fast operation with almost zero lag and stutter when you use this application
- Rich collection of apps on iPadian’s own app store
- Great support and stable development
How to Setup iMessage on iPadian
iPadian is undoubtedly an excellent simulator that gives you a real feel of iOS; however, does iPadian support iMessage. At the time this article is written, iMessage is not found on iPadian’s app store, so at the present, you may not be able to use iMessage with iPadian. However, this emulator is constantly developed and just like BlueStacks, its Android counterpart, iPadian is expected to give you a full experience of using iOS and iMessage. When iMessage is finally supported, setup should be easy as you only need to download the Messages app with iMessage feature in it and log into the app with your own username and password.